We get a lot of inquiries about how to use our beans other than in soup recipes. One of our favorites, especially during the warm summer months, is this cold black bean and corn salad. With just a few simple ingredients, it can be the perfect appetizer or side item at your next Mexican fiesta.
Categories: Southwest, Mexican, Vegetarian, Tailgate Favorites, Side Dish
- 1- package Hurst Brand Black Beans
- 1- Cup chopped red onion
- 1- Can diced green chilies
- 1- Can corn (drained)
- 1- Tablespoon (or more) of hot sauce
- 1- Clove minced garlic (not pictured)
- 1- Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Directions ( reviews )
- Rinse and sort through the black beans, checking for any debris that may be present. Soak the beans in a large bowl of water overnight or at least 8 hours. Drain and place into a large soup pot with 2 quarts (8 cups) of fresh water.
- Bring the beans to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 2.5 hours, stirring occasionally. If too much liquid evaporates before they are fully cooked, just add more water as necessary.
- While the beans are cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Chop 1 cup of red onion (usually 1/2 of a large onion), mince the garlic, cut the lime in half, and give the cilantro a rough chop. To save time later, you can open both the can of corn (drain) and also the can of diced green chilies.
- Once the beans are fully cooked (tender but not mushy), place them in a colander or sieve and rinse with cold water.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (can be left overnight).
- Serve with tortilla chips and a cold Mexican beer… ENJOY!
add your own review
There are currently no reviews for this recipe. Click the "add your own review" to share your opinion!